Monday, October 26, 2009

How to Control Arthritis Pain with Essential Supplements


If you have been following this blog you would have noticed that all of the posts have been written by me personally. What significance does that hold? Well, only this - that I am writing from personal experience - I have had to deal with arthritis pain for over fifty years now. Many of these things are what I have learned for myself as I tried to grapple with daily pain and increasing disability.

Today I would like to discuss a couple of essential supplements that have helped me to control arthritis pain. This will by no means be a comprehensive list, but these are a few that I take on a daily basis. People who have arthritis in one form or another often have low haemoglobin levels and suffer from anaemia so one of the first supplements to start with would be a good B-complex vitamin. In addition add about 100mg of B6 and some folic acid. 

Glucosamine and chondroitin are apparently the third top selling "natural" supplements in the USA. Personally I have found them to be of great benefit. My nails used to split in layers and you could "wave" them up and down with another finger! Nowadays they are strong and firm and my joints are not as painful as they used to once be. I believe this is the result of long standing supplementation with these two substances.

Then lastly, there is vitamin D, which for me has been a recent and joyful discovery. Never before has vitamin D received the press and been the object of the amount of research that is currently going on. According to Dr Stewart B. Leavitt, editor of  Pain Treatment Topics and the author of a recent report, "our examination of 22 clinical investigations of patients with pain, found that those with chronic back pain almost always had inadequate levels of vitamin D. When sufficient vitamin D supplementation was provided, their pain either vanished or was at least helped to a significant extent."

When I read that this in the latest edition of Joint Ability, the official publication of the Arthritis Foundation of South Africa, I had an "ah-ha" moment. After a blood test revealed that my vitamin D levels were low, I started supplementing with 2,000 i.u.'s of vitamin D3 daily. This was about six months ago, at which stage I had terrible pain that manifested itself mainly in the mornings, as a type of spasm, starting in my lower back and going down into the upper part of my leg. I had to arch my back backwards until I got some relief from the spasm. Grocery shopping became a nightmare because the longer I walked around the worse this spasm got and I would often have to stop and try and get some relief. AMAZING!! I stopped reading the article. And it was then that I realised that this pain of mine had completely vanished - just like the article said! There have been other benefits besides the above - a winter season completely free of colds, flu and sinusitis! 



Here is the product right here! Just click on the bottle and you can get it immediately from Amazon.com. It is truly amazing.(Be sure to get vitamin D levels tested on a regular basis.)

Article by:  Des Jackson


No comments:

Post a Comment